Master of Magic and Xcom3

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
Letum

Master of Magic and Xcom3

Post by Letum »

Master of Magic:
I the gamea to work ok and all but for some reason the SFX seems to totally slow down the game. Most times where the game needs to play a sound effect it halts for a few seconds and then plays the sound.
It works like this with default XP-settings (had to remove dosx though) and it's the same with VDMSound. I've tried lots of different settings in VDMSound. I've tried changing buffer times, tried changing between direct sound and wave etc etc etc.

Any suggestions on how to fix this slowdown? The music works fine I think, but it may have long load times too (you don't really notice it since it plays one long song).

XCom3
With sound on the game gets reeeeaaaaally slow and the sound crackles alot.

Ideas?

Btw, in both games I have made sure I have enough memory and then some.

System:
P4 1400 512 Mb ram
SB-Live!
Windows XP
Letum

Another thing...

Post by Letum »

I have also tried using speedset, it does nothing for me other than speeds up the music (which was the only sound that actually worked right)

/Letum
qbix79

Post by qbix79 »

master of magic works in dosbox
xcom 3 doesn't

Post by Guest »

Hi man,
Sorry, I don´t have an answer, but my system is almost the same as yours, and MoM won´t run. It complains about insufficient EMS memory,
but I have set this very high (10MB or so) in the program (MAGIC.EXE) memory properties dialog box, but nada!

Markus
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

Change EMS value to 8 MB.
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!
Letum

Post by Letum »

Markus: try typing REM infront of the mscdex, _dosx_ and redir thingies in your autoexec.nt (in windows\system32).

You may need these for some weird windowsprograms, so you might want to create a new identical autoexec.nt-file (and preferably name it something else) and tell magic to use it instead (where you have REM:ed the parts stated above)

To change what auto..-file used, right click the programfile, choose properties, change to the program page and press "Advanced...".

I hope that helps and that you find a sollution to my magic-problem.

Qbix79: completely with working sound and at full speed?
qbix79

Post by qbix79 »

Pff how would I know

I ran the game only once. Didn't understand how it works :)

I can only recommend:
Increase frameskip/cycles
and hope for the best :)

The speed is limited by your own pc and sound works as far as I know. But if it doesn't. Too bad :0
Water flows down the stream
Ragnarok

XCOM3

Post by Ragnarok »

I can't get XCOM 3 to work on my machine at all - I used the tips from the dosgames.com webpage and nothing changes. I run the game and it starts up, gets to the DOS 4GW yada yada yada stuff, and then just stops running. Where do I looks next?
Glenn

Got it to work

Post by Glenn »

I got full sound on master of magic running under windows xp by using VDMS.

Using this version of VDMS:

http://vdmsound.sourceforge.net/files/V ... .0.1.1.zip.

I set it to directsound and to soundblaster pro2. Then I ran mom's install.exe, set music to adlib and sound effects to sound blaster pro(later).

And there you go!

MoM SFX issues on Win 98 SE

Post by GUEST »

Ok, I see Win XP users can use VDM utility to get MoM SFX to work.How about for Win 98 SE? I use some Onboard Sound card AC97...you heard of that? Yeah budget stuff.Anyhow, Im looking for a solution to get music/sfx to work under win 98 besides making a dos boot disk.Anyone else run MoM under win 98 with a solution for sfx?

:bday: