I just want to play THEME PARK!

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.

I just want to play THEME PARK!

Post by Guest »

I've got an "HP pavilion a 250n" with Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 1, Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz, 512 MB of RAM.

I'm trying to play Theme Park. I've got DOSBox 0.74 and I've figured out how to intall and open it, I've downloaded/extracted a .zip file to my "c c:\oldgames" directory and it appears to be the game data. I'm confused, what should I do next?

The files are like this:

themepark/
Theme Park/
DATA (File Folder)
SAVE (File Folder)
DOS4GW.app
HMIDET.386 (Virtual device driver)
HMIDRV.386 (Virtual device driver)
HMIMDRV.386 (Virtual device driver)
INSTALL.app
INTRO.app
MAIN.app
PARK (MS-DOS Batch File)
SNDSETUP (Setup Information)

I've tried typing pretty much anything i can think of (should have had it by now) :

INSTALL
INSTALL.EXE
INSTALL.exe
isntall
install.exe
MAIN
MAIN.EXE

I JUST WANT TO PLAY THEME PARK, WHY IS THIS CRAP SO DAMN HARD!!??
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

If you're willing to spend $5.99 to make life easy, Gog.com has Theme Park all setup and ready to go: http://www.gog.com/game/theme_park - after you install that there will be a windows desktop icon & start menu entry to just doubleclick and run the game.

Have you used dosbox before? Do you need a quick intro, or is that part all good? There are some topics at the top of this forum to get you started if not, like this one for Win 7 & 8: http://dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13511

This DOS, she is fickle and particular.

And the only things that will run are the .bat and .exe and .com files listed in the directory - looks like Park.bat, but I don't if anything else is hidden in directories.

But, assuming all that is good:
1. You've run dosbox, and inside dosbox (hitting enter after each line, of course):
2. you've mounted c:\oldgames in dosbox (like "mount c c:\oldgames")
3. you've changed dosbox from z: to c: (like "c:") so you have a "c:\>" prompt
4. You do a directory listing (like "dir") and the list looks like the above files list.
4. you run 'Park' without quotes, what happens?